143.0…Rigatoni with Meaty Mushroom Bolognese
Day #4 of New Year's healthy eating resolution going strong. I'm proud of myself. I'm also proud of the delicious dinner I made last night.
I could make pasta with some sort of meat sauce every night and my husband would be happy. It's not always the healthiest but I found a great recipe loaded with veggies!
Rigatoni with Meaty Mushroom Bolognese (Serves 4)
Recipe adapted from Cooking Light, December 2013
- 6 ounces uncooked rigatoni
- 1 lb. 90% lean ground sirloin or ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2/3 cup (1/4-inch) diced carrot
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 (8-ounce) package pre-sliced mushrooms
- 8 ounces zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can unsalted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons unsalted tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 ounce Parmesan cheese, grated and divided (about 1/4 cup)
- 1. Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat; drain. Keep warm.
- 2. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add beef or turkey; cook 2 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble. Remove beef or turkey from pan; set beef aside.
- 3. Return pan to medium-high heat. Add oil; swirl to coat. Add carrot, onion, and mushrooms; sauté 5 minutes or just until tender. Stir in zucchini, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon black pepper, and garlic; cook 4 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in beef or turkey; cook 1 minute. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, and crushed red pepper to pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer 8 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. Stir in cream; cook 1 minute. Remove pan from heat; stir in remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, remaining 1/8 teaspoon black pepper, and 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese. Divide pasta among 4 bowls. Top each serving with 1 1/4 cups sauce; sprinkle evenly with remaining 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese.
Along with all the veggies in the pasta sauce, I had a big bowl of salad.
Trying to get all your veggie and fruit servings in for the day is hard!
Breakfast started out right this morning with blueberry Chobani Greek yogurt, Easy Granola (had some extra in the freezer), strawberries and blueberries.
I took the kids to school and went to a meeting, then volunteered a bit more at the school. I met my husband for lunch at Harry's Bar and American Grill. I ordered the Insalta di Tonno (seared black pepper crusted tuna, spring mix, pine nuts, pickled ginger, capers and sesame oil vinaigrette).
I went back to the school to volunteer a bit more and now I'm waiting again at Starbucks until it's time to pick up the kiddos. There is an event at the school tonight so we'll be eating dinner around here and then heading back to the school. They school apparently owns me today.
So I didn't make it to the gym today because there wasn't time. I'm trying to go Monday through Friday but that didn't happen this week. I will make it tomorrow though.
How often do you go to the gym/workout?