I love being in the house when it’s pouring rain outside. Especially when something yummy is in the oven for dinner. This was the case last night.
This recipe for Burrito Pie is kind of like lasagna but it’s Mexican! Top it with whatever you want….I used tomatoes, green onions and cilantro.
Burrito Pie (Serves 16 – I made half the recipe)
Recipe slightly adapted from All Recipes.com
2 pounds ground beef
1 onion, chopped
4 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chili peppers
1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chile peppers
1 (16 ounce) jar taco sauce
2 (16 ounce) cans refried beans
12 (8 inch) flour tortillas
9 ounces shredded Colby cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, sauté the ground beef for 5 minutes. Add the onion and garlic, and sauté for 5 more minutes. Drain any excess fat, if desired. Mix in the green chile peppers, tomatoes with green chile peppers, taco sauce and refried beans. Stir mixture thoroughly, reduce heat to low, and let simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Spread a thin layer of the meat mixture in the bottom of a 4 quart casserole dish. Cover with a layer of tortillas followed by more meat mixture, then a layer of cheese. Repeat tortilla, meat, cheese pattern until all the tortillas are used, topping off with a layer of meat mixture and cheese.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until cheese is slightly brown and bubbly.
*Note: Original recipe called for 1 (2 ounce) can of black olives to go in with the chiles which I omitted.
It was delicious! I’m looking forward to having leftovers tonight!
I served the Burrito Pie with a salad.
Breakfast this morning was scrambled egg beaters with some of the canned tomatoes and chilies that I didn’t use last night, bell peppers and shredded cheddar cheese.
I took the kids to school, went to a meeting, then my nail appointment then lunch at Luna Grill. Greek salad with a chicken kabob (aka crack chicken):
Tonight my daughter has soccer practice. Then home to relax!
What did you have for dinner last night?