There is nothing like a warm, chewy, gooey chocolate chip cookie right out of the oven.
I have found that a lot of chocolate chip cookie recipes taste great right out of the oven, but the real test is what they taste like hours later when they are all cooled off. I prefer my cookies chewy and soft to crunchy and hard. I found a recipe that not only tastes perfect right out of the oven but equally perfect at room temperature!
Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
Slightly Adapted from Sunset Magazine
- 1 cup (1/2 lb.) butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- In a bowl, with an electric mixer on medium speed, beat butter and brown sugar until well blended. Beat in eggs and vanilla until smooth, scraping down sides of bowl as needed.
- In another bowl, mix flour, baking soda, and salt. Stir or beat into butter mixture until well incorporated. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Drop dough in 2-tablespoon (1/8-cup) portions, 2 inches apart, onto buttered 12- by 15-inch baking sheets.
- Bake in a 400° oven until cookies are lightly browned and no longer wet in the center (break one open to check), 6 to 8 minutes; if baking more than one pan at a time, switch pan positions halfway through baking.
- With a wide spatula, transfer cookies to racks to cool. If hot cookies start to break, slide a thin spatula under them to release; let stand on pan to firm up, 2 to 5 minutes, then transfer to racks to cool completely.
- Note: Store these cookies airtight for up to 2 days.
Last night’s dinner was another easy one: meat sauce right out of the freezer. I reheated it, added it to spaghetti and dinner was done!
I also made a salad to go with our pasta.
I went to bed early last night. I’m still trying to recover from this past weekend’s activity!
Breakfast this morning was wheat toast with peanut butter and strawberries. It was the heel of the loaf and it was nice and thick and hearty.
I took the kids to school and met my friends at the gym. 25 minutes on the elliptical and 20 minutes on the treadmill later, I was done and on my way to the grocery store.
One of the things I picked up at the store was a roast beef sandwich from the deli for lunch.
After I put the groceries away, I dug into my sandwich. Then I looked at the clock. 10:54AM. I guess it was an early lunch!
I just got back from picking my daughter up from school. After I pick up my son later, I think I’m going to lay down for a bit. I still don’t feel that great. And to top it off, we have to go out to dinner tonight. I need to find some energy somewhere!
Crispy or chewy for your chocolate chips cookies?