143.6…Mini Mac and Cheese Bites
At Dina's holiday party last weekend, everyone had to bring an appetizer. I didn't want to bring anything boring and was going back and forth on what to bring. When I saw the recipe for Mini Mac and Cheese Bites, I knew those were it.
Before I baked the bites, I tasted the mac and cheese itself….amazing. Even if you don't bake them into bites, make it just for the mac and cheese!
Mini Mac and Cheese Bites (Makes 3 dozen)
Recipe courtesy: Phillis Carey
1/2 lb. small elbow macaroni
1 1/2 Tbsp unsalted butter, plus more for brushing
1/4 cup finely ground Parmesan cheese, divided use
2 Tbsp flour
3/4 cup whole milk, warmed
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
4 oz. deli-sliced American cheese, chopped
1 large egg yolk
1/4 tsp. smoked Spanish paprika
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Cook macaroni in a pot of boiling, salted water until just barely tender, about 5 minutes. Drain, shaking off excess water.
2. Brush 48 mini-muffin cups with melted butter. Sprinkle with 2 Tbsp of the Parmesan cheese.
3. Melt 1 1/2 Tbsp butter in a large saucepan. Whisk in the flour and cook over medium heat for 1 minute. Whisk in the warm milk and cook, whisking, until it boils. Whisk in the cheddar and American cheeses and whisk until melted. Off the heat, whisk in the egg yolk and paprika. Fold in the macaroni.
4. Spoon slightly rounded tablespoons of the macaroni into prepared muffin cups, packing them down gently. Sprinkle the remaining 2 Tbsp Parmesan on top. (Can be prepared to this point and refrigerated overnight.)
5. Bake the mini macs for about 10 minutes or until golden and sizzling. Cool in pan for 5 minutes. Using a small spoon, carefully loosen and remove to a platter and serve.
Last night, my mom and I went over to my brother and sister in law's house to celebrate my birthday and "Fake Christmas." Neal and Steph are going to Steph's family for Christmas this year, so we celebrated last night.
The evening was complete with wine, cheese, salami and crackers.
Steph made amazing pulled pork slider with slaw and tater tots.
Dessert was chocolate birthday cake.
Every year this is my request. Chocolate birthday cake. It doesn't get any better than this.
We opened gifts and had a very merry "Fake Christmas!"
Breakfast at my mom's house this morning was a toasted English muffin, half with honey butter and half with peanut butter.
I packed up and hit the road for San Diego. I ran some errands along the way, stopping at Bistro 067 for lunch. I had a delicious turkey and pesto sandwich.
The kids are at a friend's house this evening so my husband and I are going to use the time wisely and go out to dinner. This weekend is pretty quiet and I'm looking forward to getting stuff done around the house and getting some rest!
Any fun weekend plans?