Slow Cooker Texas Pulled Chicken – Holiday Recipe Club
For the next installment in our Holiday Recipe Club series we are focusing on the Fourth of July. Our ingredient choices were blueberries, BBQ sauce or whipped cream. I went back and forth with this one but in the end decided on BBQ sauce. We go through a ton of BBQ sauce in our house…mainly eaten by my husband. He loves pulled chicken or any kind of a barbeque chicken sandwich. I knew exactly what to make for him.
The beauty of this Texas Pulled Chicken is that it is prepared in the slow cooker. You can put everything in it and let it do it’s thing. By dinner time, you are ready to roll! Just make some of my Baked French Fries and you’re good to go!
Slow Cooker Texas Pulled Chicken (Serves 8)
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 4 pounds boneless chicken breasts
- 1 cup barbeque sauce
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon prepared yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 extra large onion, chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 8 hamburger buns, split
- 2 tablespoons butter, or as needed
- Pour the vegetable oil into the bottom of a slow cooker. Place the chicken into the slow cooker; pour in the barbecue sauce, apple cider vinegar, and chicken broth. Stir in the brown sugar, yellow mustard, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, onion, garlic, and thyme. Cover and cook on High until the chicken shreds easily with a fork, about 5 hours.
- Remove the chicken from the slow cooker, and shred the meat using two forks. Return the shredded chicken to the slow cooker, and stir the meat into the juices.
- Spread the inside of both halves of hamburger buns with butter. Toast the buns, butter side down, in a skillet over medium heat until golden brown. Spoon pork into the toasted buns.
*Note: You can substitute 1 (4lb.) pork shoulder roast for the chicken.