I decided to participate in “Meatless Monday” for dinner last night.
In all honesty, it was more of an accident. I just thought the recipe for Vegetable Lasagna Roll-Ups looked delicious. It just so happened to be that I made it on a Monday. But the thing is, you don’t even miss the meat in this dish! The vegetables really make up for it!
Vegetable Lasagna Roll-Ups (Serves 6-8)
Recipe from InStyle Magazine, May 2010
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 large bunch broccoli, stems removed, finely chopped
1 16 oz. bag baby carrots, chopped
1 16 oz. box lasagna noodles
1 32 oz. container ricotta cheese
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. basil
Salt to taste
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1 24 oz. jars tomato sauce (reserve half for final topping)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large skillet, heat olive oil and sauté chopped broccoli and carrots until tender, about 7 minutes. Place in a large bowl and refrigerate until cool.
3. Cook noodles, drain, and lay flat until cool.
4. Mix ricotta with garlic powder, oregano, basil and salt to taste.
5. Add ricotta mixture, Parmesan and mozzarella to bowl of broccoli and carrots; mix well with spoon.
6. Using a spatula, spread 1/2 cup filling onto length of each lasagna noodle, leaving 1/2 inch at each end so roll-ups don’t overflow; roll each one tightly.
7. Spread half of tomato sauce on bottom of deep baking pan; place roll-ups seam side down. Cook in oven for 45 minutes. Remove and top with remaining tomato sauce; cook for 15 more minutes.
Note: Picture above shows only half a recipe. I also used the food processor to chop the broccoli and carrots.
We really enjoyed it! Next time I’d add chopped zucchini to it!
Breakfast today: Boring for you, not for me.
I dropped my daughter off at camp then went to Sculpt class at the gym. I felt sluggish and struggled through the whole class. I hate that when that happens!
Lunch was a turkey sandwich and salad. I’m getting tired of this. Maybe I should have my favorite breakfast for lunch too!?!
Do you do Meatless Mondays?