145.0…Three Bean and Beef Chili
As promised, here is the recipe for the awesome, healthy chili that I made the other night. You can use ground beef or lighten it up even more by using ground turkey, which is what I ended up doing.
Three Bean and Beef Chili (Serves 8)
Recipe courtesy: Ellie Krieger
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 onion, diced (1 cup)
1 red bell pepper, diced (1 cup)
2 carrots, diced (1/2 cup)
2 tsp. ground cumin
1 pound extra-lean ground beef (90% lean) or ground turkey
1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
2 cups water
1 chipotle chili in adobo sauce, seeded and minced
2 tsp. adobo sauce from the can of chipotles
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 (15.5 oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 (15.5 oz.) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 (15.5 oz.) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1. Heat the oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over moderate heat. Add the onion, bell pepper and carrots, cover and cook, stirring occasionally until the vegetables are soft, about 10 minutes.
2. Add the cumin and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
3. Add the ground beef or turkey; raise the heat to high and cook, breaking up the meat with a spoon, until the meat is no longer pink.
4. Stir in the tomatoes, water, chipotle and adobo sauce, oregano and salt and pepper. Simmer, partially covered, stirring from time to time, for 30 minutes.
5. Stir in the beans and cook, partially covered, 20 minutes longer. Season to taste, with salt and pepper.
Tuesday night I baked some salmon (with olive oil, salt and pepper) and added a big salad to it for dinner.
Wednesday morning was Honey Nut Cheerios and almond milk again.
I went to a meeting at the school, followed by an appointment. Lunch was a Greek salad with a chicken kabob and Luna Grill.
One of my favorite salads ever.
I ran some more errands, then picked up the kiddos from school and took my son to his basketball game. Dinner was afterwards at Sammy's Woodfired Pizza where I split another one of my favorite salads with my husband: Chopped Chicken Salad.
That was followed by fish tacos in lettuce cups instead of tortillas.
They were good but would have been better with tortillas. ;)
Breakfast this morning was this:
Sorry….I'm just in the Honey Nut Cheerios mood.
I helped out at the school a bit this morning, then met some friends at La Costa Resort for a spa day to celebrate Lisa's birthday. Yes…another birthday celebration. We take birthdays seriously over here. Especially important ones like Lisa's big 5-0!!
It's normal to have hot sauce in your spa locker, right?
Before my massage, I snacked on some edamame.
Then afterwards came another favorite of mine: La Costa's chicken salad.
It is ridiculously good. I mean ridiculous. There are grapes in there and I still like it! ;)
I took my daughter to horse back riding lessons, then picked up El Pollo Loco and brought it to a friend's house where my son was.
Two piece white meat chicken, cole slaw and corn. Afterwards we attended an event at the school and now I'm finally home. Good night!
Do you have a favorite chili recipe?