Last night I threw a small party at my house. It wasn’t just any party…it was a “My Favorite Things” Party. Now, I can’t take credit for it….my sister in law Marit shared with me the idea. And a fabulous idea it was! The premise for our party was you bring a favorite item of yours (under $10) for each person attending the party. It could be anything: food, beauty, clothes, etc. You explain why you love it and go home with everyone’s favorites!
The party was easy to host because I asked everyone to bring an appetizer to share. I made something that I’ve been dying to make. I don’t know why it took me this long to make it but I’m so glad I did. Ricotta and Caramelized Onion Flatbread Topped with Prosciutto and Arugula. This one will be repeated many times…..
Ricotta and Caramelized Onion Flatbread Topped with Prosciutto and Arugula (Serves 4 to 6)
Recipe adapted from Phillis Carey
2 Tbsp. plus 2 tsp. olive oil, divided use
2 cups thinly sliced red onions
1 Tbsp. light brown sugar
2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
1 package prepared pizza dough
1 cup fresh ricotta cheese
6 to 8 slices prosciutto
1 cup arugula, coarsely chopped
1 tsp. lemon juice
1. Heat 1 Tbsp. olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add onion and brown sugar and cook until onions are golden and very tender, stirring frequently, 15 to 20 minutes. Mix in vinegar and pepper flakes. Cook until mixture is thick, 1 to 2 minutes longer. Season generously with salt and pepper.
2. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Stretch the pizza dough out onto a split covered baking sheet and let rest for 15 minutes. Stretch out again if the dough shrinks. Brush with 1 Tbsp. olive oil and spread with onions. Dollop ricotta all over the onion layer and carefully spread. Top with slices of prosciutto. Bake until caramelized and crusty, 12 to 15 minutes. Remove immediately and cut down the center lengthwise and then again across into 6 to 8 slices.
3. Toss arugula with 2 tsp. olive oil and lemon juice. Place arugula over pizza slices.
Let the fun begin!
After enjoying the appetizers, it was time to sit down and get to business!
My favorite item was Big Sexy Hair’s Volumizing Dry Shampoo.
I am obsessed with this stuff. I use when my hair is clean OR dirty. I like to put it in the roots of my hair to create volume. It’s amazing!
Dina had THREE products! Way to get more for your money!
1. NYX HD Concealer (I have this and it’s great!)
2. TRESemme Fresh Start Volumizing Dry Shampoo (obviously Dina and I think alike. I’m excited to try this! Dina said that this one isn’t as “sticky” as mine.)
3. Trader Joe’s PB&J Milk Chocolate Bar (speaks for itself!)
Silvana’s favorite item was Victoria’s Secret’s No-Show Thong:
Obviously, I’m entranced.
I’ve never tried those specifically but I have tried other brands which I like. Excited to try these. Never let people see your panty lines. Seriously.
Tami brought an item I had never heard of: Waxelene.
It’s the natural alternative to petroleum jelly. I’m excited to use it as a lip moisturizer.
Cathi brought NYX Lip Primer.
You use this to line your lips to keep your lipstick in place and to not feather or bleed. Genius!
Lauren brought everyone her favorite wraps!
She bought them at Nordstrom Rack. No link, sorry but it’s a standard type wrap that you could get in many places. I chose the coral color!
Alicia’s favorite item is also one of mine: MAC’s Lipglass in Prrr.
It’s my favorite lip gloss. Ever. Nuff said.
Finally, Lisa’s favorite item is another one of mine! CVS Teeth Whitening Pen!
I use this every night (you can use it up to 4 times a day, I believe) and it really works!
After our Favorite Things exchange, we had some Raspberry Cheesecake Bars for dessert. Recipe coming.
Great party! We decided it would be an annual event. I can’t wait for next year!
Breakfast this morning was the usual:
I went to Sculpt class at the gym. We had a sub today. He kicked my a**. I’m not joking. I hope I can walk tomorrow. After that, I wobbled to Marketplace Grill for lunch. I needed food.
Grilled Chicken Greek Salad. Ah. Much better.
What item would you bring to a My Favorite Things party?