I’ve been on a cooking spree the last day or so. Friday night, I whipped up an amazing lasagna for dinner. It was pure comfort food perfection. I did serve it with leftover asparagus and Roasted Brussels Spouts just to make it seem a bit healthier. :)
Lasagna Bolognese (Serves 8)
Recipe adapted from Better Homes and Gardens, February 2014
1 lb. ground beef
2/3 cup finely chopped onion
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 (15 oz.) can tomato sauce
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper
1 tsp. dried oregano
12 dried lasagna noodles
1 (15 oz.) container whole milk ricotta cheese
1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
1/3 cup milk
1/4 cup coarsely chopped flat-leaf Italian parsley
1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil
6 oz. shredded mozzarella cheese
1. For sauce, in a large Dutch oven cook beef, onion, and garlic over medium heat until beef is browned; drain fat. Stir in undrained tomatoes, tomato sauce, 3/4 tsp. salt, crushed red pepper and oregano. Bring to a boil, reduce heat. Simmer, covered 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Uncover; cook 15 minutes more. (Sauce can be made up to 3 days ahead.)
2. Meanwhile, cook noodles according to package directions until tender but still firm (al dente). Drain; rinse with cold water. Drain well.
3. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. For filling, in a medium bowl whisk together ricotta, egg, 1/4 cup of the Parmigiano-Reggiano, milk, parsley, basil, and 1/4 tsp. salt until well combined. Set aside.
4. Drizzle bottom of a 3-qt. rectangular baking dish with olive oil. Arrange 3 noodles in a single layer atop oil. Spread with one-fourth of the filling. Top with one-fourth of the sauce. Repeat layers. Sprinkle top with shredded mozzarella and remaining Parmigiano-Reggiano. Cover with a piece of parchment brushed with olive oil, coated side down; seal tightly with foil.
5. Bake 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 15 minutes more or until cheese is golden brown and mixture is bubbly. Let stand at least 20 minutes before serving.
Breakfast yesterday morning was the usual:
I took my kids for haircuts then to my daughter’s tennis lesson at our club. While I waited, I enjoyed a Chicken Chopped Salad.
Once we got home, I started prepping for a barbecue with Joe and Alicia and their kids. The meal started with My Favorite Guacamole.
Then it was grilling time! On the menu:
Chili Marinated Grilled Chicken Breasts with Avocado Salsa, Cilantro and Lime Rice and Sweet Corn with Cilantro Lime Butter. Everything was great…I’d definitely make everything again. All recipes coming!
Guess what I had for breakfast this morning??
What are your Memorial Day Weekend plans?