145.6...Homemade Double-Chocolate Pudding with Whipped Cream and Chocolate Shavings
The final recipe for my husband’s Poker Night is the dessert: Homemade Double-Chocolate Pudding with Whipped Cream and Chocolate Shavings. You can make them ahead and add the whipped cream right before serving.
Homemade Double-Chocolate Pudding with Whipped Cream and Chocolate Shavings (Serves 8)
Recipe from Phillis Carey
3 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
3 Tbsp cornstarch
1 tsp. instant espresso
1/4 tsp. salt
2 cups heavy whipping cream, divided use
3 large egg yolks
2 1/2 cups whole milk
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
4 oz. chopped semisweet chocolate
1. In a large heatproof bowl, whisk together the cocoa powder, cornstarch, espresso and salt. Whisk in 1 cup cream, a little at a time, until you have a smooth mixture. Whisk in the egg yolks.
2. Pour the milk into a 4-quart saucepan and stir in the sugar. Heat over medium heat, stirring frequently, until the sugar is dissolved and the milk just begins to simmer.
3. Temper the egg mixture by pouring some of the hot milk into the bowl of cream and egg mixture, whisking to combine. Repeat a couple of times until most of the milk is added. Pour everything from the bowl into the saucepan.
4. Bring the pudding to a full boil, over medium high heat, whisking constantly and making sure to get the whisk into the corners of the pan when stirring. Cook the pudding for 2 minutes after it starts to boil, whisking constantly and vigorously.
5. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla then the chopped chocolate and let sit for 1 to 2 minutes to melt chocolate. Whisk vigorously until chocolate is fully incorporated.
6. Spread pudding into a bowl or into individual bowls and cover with plastic wrap pressed onto the surface of the pudding. Refrigerate until cold, 2 hours or up to 3 days.
7. When ready to serve, whip the remaining cream with 1 tsp vanilla and 2 Tbsp sugar. Add to top of pudding along with chocolate shavings. (Use a vegetable peeler to make shavings.)
Thursday night I went to a dinner at our club for a golf tournament that my husband was participating in. There was a buffet with all sorts of choices. I still wasn’t feeling 100% so I didn’t get my usual 10 pound plate of food.
I didn’t even eat dessert!
I went a bit rouge for breakfast Friday. I had half a bagel topped with a fried egg and a slice of cheddar cheese.
It was good but not as good as my standard breakfast. Note to self.
I went to an appointment and ran a couple of errands. For lunch I had half a salami sandwich and the rest of the chicken noodle soup.
Later on in the afternoon, I was hungry so I had a snack of cucumbers and ranch dressing.
My husband and I went to Samurai for dinner. Standard salad and soup:
I had the NY steak and fried rice.
I ate every bite. It was delicious! My appetite was back!
We came home and went to bed early. A quite Friday night at our house for sure.
My husband went to his golf tournament and I stayed home and got stuff done around the house. Since I was sick all week, I didn’t get much done so I had a bunch of catch up to do.
Lunch was a salami sandwich, veggies and ranch:
Dinner was at the club for the final golf tournament dinner. My 10 pound buffet plate was back in action.
So was the dessert:
Sunday morning I was up super early to catch my flight to San Francisco to pick up my son from sleep away camp. I got a breakfast sandwich from The Counter at the airport.
My son and I reunited after his two weeks away! We flew home. Lunch was a turkey sandwich and chips on the plane:
Last night we went to Burger Night at our club with some friends. I had a beef burger lettuce wrapped with cheddar cheese, onions, tomato, arugula and chipotle aioli. Sweet potatoes were my fries of choice.
We all shared some desserts. My was this chocolate bomb thing that was rich and delicious:
I did something this morning that I hadn’t done in a month: go to the gym! I can’t believe it had been that long! I went to Tabata Drills class. Felt good to get back!
My son and I went to lunch at Pei Wei. I had the kid’s size steamed honey seared shrimp with brown rice and veggies.
We went over to Alicia’s with some other friends so we could hang out and the kids could swim. Fun Monday!
Have you been doing any summer grilling?