Thursday nights my daughter has soccer practice now. By the time we get home, it’s almost 6pm. I need something I can whip up fast for dinner. Last night’s recipe fit the bill perfectly. And it tasted great to boot!
Enchilada Casserole (Serves 4)
Slightly adapted from AllRecipes.com
1 pound lean ground beef
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons chili powder
salt to taste
4 (10 inch) flour tortillas
2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a deep dish pie plate; set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown the ground beef and onion until beef is no longer pink; drain fat. Return to the heat and push the meat and onion to the sides of the pan. Add the garlic to the center of the pan and cook briefly. Stir the beef and onion together with the garlic.
- Stir in the tomato sauce, tomato paste, cumin, chili powder and salt to taste. Mix well and allow to thicken slightly.
- Spoon a thin layer of the beef mixture onto the bottom of the pie plate. Begin layering the tortilla, beef mixture, then cheese, ending with a final layer of cheese on the top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until cheese is melted and lightly browned.
We really enjoyed this! I served it with a salad with cilantro dressing which went perfectly with it.
Dinner on Wednesday was early and fast. I no sooner got home with the kids from school than had to turn around and go back for Back to School Night. I quickly heated up the leftovers from the Oven-Fried Chicken Parmesan.
It reheated quite nicely!
Breakfast yesterday morning was pineapple Chobani yogurt, Gluten Free Granola, strawberries and blueberries.
I took the kids to school, went to the gym, then to my nail appointment, then to Luna Grill for lunch.
Greek salad with a chicken kabob (aka crack chicken).
This morning’s breakfast was a toasted English muffin with half a grapefruit.
I dropped off the kiddos then grabbed a latte at Starbucks.
I made my way over to Rancho Valencia to help my friend Tami celebrate her birthday. We had massages then hung out by the pool for lunch. Chips, salsa and guacamole:
Followed by a tuna wrap with house-made chips.
After relaxing for a bit, it was time to pick up the kids and head home. Tonight we are headed to a friend’s house for dinner and I’m bringing the appetizers so I need to get on that! Have a great weekend!
Any fun Labor Day plans?