136.8…5 Weeks & 2 Days Later

After a long 5 weeks and 2 days, my pins are finally out of my foot. Let’s get up to speed before I talk about the pin removal…

Thursday’s lunch was a tuna sandwich and chicken & rice soup at Panera Bread.

November 2012 080

After lunch I hobbled around Costco for Thanksgiving stuff. Random thought: walking around Costco with a broken foot is not fun.

What was fun was dinner that night with some friends at Mia Francesca. This is the third time I’ve been to that restaurant and it never fails to please.

November 2012 081

I started with a Caesar salad. Excellent!

November 2012 082

Our table shared the bruschetta:

November 2012 083

We always get this and it’s always good. I could make a meal out of this.

For my entree I ordered the linguine with scallops and artichokes in a light tomato sauce.

November 2012 084

Another winner!

Friday’s breakfast was the last cranberry English muffin with peanut butter and strawberries.

November 2012 085

I took the kids to school, went to my son’s parent-teach conference and then came home for Lisa to take me to my doctor’s appointment to get my pins out. I was told to pop two Percocet before my appointment which I did.

November 2012 091

Checking in….all ready to go! Lisa and Annette were there to hold my hand.

November 2012 093

In the doctor’s office ready to have those suckers pulled out! I was so excited and extremely nervous. The doctor gave me a few injections of numbing medication (which really hurt!) and then waited five minutes for the meds to do their thing. Then it was show time. It didn’t hurt at all! Just some pressure and they were out!

Then it was time for a new x-ray:

November 2012 099

So here’s the bitter sweet part: now that the pins are out, there is nothing holding my bones together. They are still fragile for a few more weeks. To protect them, I will be rolling like this for a few weeks:

November 2012 098

Yeah. I’m not sure that boot could be any uglier. But….I can walk a whole lot better in it!

Check out my pins….these were in my feet!!!

November 2012 100


After the appointment we met some other friends at Love Boat Sushi for lunch to celebrate! I shared a bunch of sushi with Alicia.

November 2012 086

November 2012 087

November 2012 089

Last night my husband took me and the kids for dinner at Tio Leo’s. I wasn’t super hungry so I indulged in some chips, salsa and guacamole.

November 2012 090

An awesome meal, if you ask me. :)

It was fabulous last night not feeling pins in my foot. Normally when I sleep, I have to be careful how I lay my foot so as not to push on the pins. I didn’t have that problem last night. Although, I’m not allowed to walk at all without my boot. I had to go to the bathroom at 5am.  I didn’t feel like putting it on so I hopped to the bathroom and back. By the time you’re done hopping around like that, you’re basically awake. So it was an early morning!

I made the kids pancakes and myself an egg beater sandwich for breakfast.

November 2012 101

I did a ton of laundry, took my son to his tennis lesson, made the pie crusts for Thanksgiving and some other Thanksgiving related things on my to-do list. I think I was so happy that I could walk with less pain that I overdid it. By noon I was exhausted.

I dropped the kids off at their scouts thing at the school and came home to make a tuna sandwich for lunch.

November 2012 102

I finally put my foot up and relaxed for bit before picking the kids up. There’s no way I have the energy to make dinner so we’ll see where we end up.

Tomorrow I’m going to Los Angeles for a wedding. I’m sure I’ll look hot in my dress with the huge grey boot.

Have you ever had to wear a cast or a boot on your leg?


  1. Hooray for getting the pins out! Just take it easy though - no more jumping on the bed, okay?! :D

    I've never broken a bone in my life and I will be 45 on my next birthday!


Post a Comment