142.8...Chicken Marsala on the Lighter Side
I recently bought the Skinnytaste Cookbook and was really excited to start trying the recipes! I love how healthy and low calorie everything is! Last night I made her Chicken Marsala on the Lighter Side. It was really delicious!
Chicken Marsala on the Lighter Side (Serves 4)
Recipe from The Skinnytaste Cookbook
2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts (8 ounces each)
Freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup plus 1 tsp. all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp unsalted butter
2 tsp. olive oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup finely chopped shallots
8 ounces sliced cremini mushrooms
3 ounces sliced shiitake mushrooms
1/3 cup Marsala wine
1/2 cup chicken broth
2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
2. Slice the chicken breasts in half horizontally to make 4 cutlets. Put each cutlet between two sheets of plastic wrap and lightly pound them until they are about 1/4 inch thick. Season with 1/2 tsp. salt and a pinch of black pepper.
3. Place an 18-inch long length of wax paper on the counter. Put the flour in a shallow bowl and lightly dredge the chicken pieces in the flour, shaking off any excess. Put the chicken on the wax paper; reserve the 1 tsp. remaining flour to use later.
4. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1/2 Tbsp of the butter and 1 tsp. of the olive oil to the pan and swirl the pan until the butter has melted. Add the chicken and cook until slightly golden on both sides, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a baking dish and place in the oven to keep warm.
5. Add the remaining 1/2 Tbsp butter and 1 tsp. olive oil to the skillet. Add the garlic and shallots and cook until soft and golden, about 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms, season with 1/8 tsp. salt and a pinch of black pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle in the reserved 1 tsp. of flour and cook, stirring, for about 30 seconds. Add the Marsala wine, chicken broth, and parsley. Cook, stirring and scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon, until thickened, about 2 minutes.
6. Return the chicken to the skillet with the mushrooms, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer in the sauce to let the flavors blend, about 4 to 5 minutes.
7. To serve, put a piece of chicken on each of 4 serving plates. Spoon the mushrooms and sauce evenly over the top, and serve hot.
I served the Chicken Marsala with Skinnytaste’s Broccoli Rabe with Garlic and Oil (recipe coming) and pasta with marinara. Such a good dinner!
Tuesday’s lunch was a turkey and avocado sandwich from Subway.
My husband and I headed to Pelican Hill Hotel in Orange County for a special event that featured President George W. Bush. We were able to take a picture with him (will share when I get it) and listen to him speak at dinner. It was extremely fascinating and entertaining!
Dinner started with a Sweet Corn, Jicama, Bosch Pear and Cucumber Salad with Avocado Puree:
Our entree was Duet of Boneless Beef Short Ribs and Sea Bass with Smashed Fingerling Potato Cake, Green and Yellow Beans and Red Wine Reduction:
It was pretty good! I thoroughly enjoyed the event!
I took the kids to school, then went to a meeting at the school, followed by the gym. I ran a bunch of errands and picked up sushi at the grocery store for lunch.
Dinner was the Chicken Marsala and Broccoli Rabe:
After I took the kids to school, I went to the gym, then my tennis lesson.
Lunch was tuna salad, crackers and pickles:
Dinner was last night’s leftovers. It reheated really well!
I’m really looking forward to trying other recipes in the Skinnytaste cookbook!
What’s your favorite cookbook?