The recipe for Siri’s One-Pot Mexican Pasta popped in my inbox and I knew I had to make it immediately. I’m glad I did! It was so comforting, you’d think you were eating something bad for you. Little does anyone know but it has a secret ingredient in it: squash! Make it for your family ASAP. They will never know the difference.
Siri’s One-Pot Mexican Pasta (Serves 6)
Recipe from Siri Daly, The Today Show
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 pound ground turkey
1/2 package store-bought taco seasoning
12 ounces frozen squash, thawed
8 ounces pasta
2 cups chicken stock
8 ounces store-bought taco sauce
1 1/2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend, plus more for serving
Chopped avocado, scallions and jalapeños, for serving (optional)
1. In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
2. Add the ground turkey and cook until no longer pink.
3. Add the taco seasoning and squash, and cook for a few minutes, until everything is combined.
4. Add the pasta, chicken stock and taco sauce and bring to a boil.
5. Stir everything up, cover the pot, lower to a simmer and cook for another 10 minutes.
6. Uncover, add the cheese, and simmer until the cheese is melted and sauce has thickened. Add a little more cheese on the top before serving, plus your favorite garnishes like chopped avocado, scallions and jalapeños.
I made a salad to go with it. Fabulous dinner!
After I took the kids to school, I went to the gym to jog on the treadmill.
Next up was a cooking class at The La Jolla Community Center taught by Phillis Carey. Today’s class was “Wine Country Cuisine”.
The first recipe was Feta-Stuffed Braised Chicken Thighs in White Wine with Fresh Herbs and Green Olives served on Parmesan Polenta:
Really loved this! The polenta was fabulous and the sauce tasted great with it.
The second recipe was Mediterranean Vegetable Galette with Eggplant, Peppers, Tomatoes and Herbed Goat Cheese Filling:
Doesn’t look pretty on the plate but it sure tasted good!! It’s a great vegetarian dish!
The next recipe was Honey Mustard Sesame Salmon with Mango Basil Beurre Blanc:
I’m not a fan of fruit in my food but I really liked this sauce over the salmon!
Next up was Balsamic Marinated Pork Tenderloin with Blackberry Merlot Sauce:
Another fruity winner!! Maybe I’m slowing converting?
Dessert was Buttery Almond Torte with Amaretto Cream:
What can I say about this? It was fantastic! If you love the flavor of almonds, you would love this!
Tonight I have Book Club so I need to eat dinner quickly and hit the road.
Do you have a favorite ingredient to throw into recipes to make them healthier?