On Monday night I made another recipe from the Skinnytaste cookbook: Cajun Chicken Pasta on the Lighter Side. Yep. It turned out to be another winner!
Cajun Chicken Pasta on the Lighter Side (Serves 5)
Recipe from The Skinnytaste Cookbook
1/3 cup fat-free milk
1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
3 Tbsp light cream cheese
8 oz. linguine
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sliced into strips
1 1/4 tsp. Cajun seasoning (or more to taste)
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/8 tsp. freshly cracked black pepper
Cooking spray or oil mister
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 medium red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 medium yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
1/2 medium red onion, sliced
3 garlic cloves, minced
8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
2 medium tomatoes, chopped
1 cup chicken broth
2 medium scallions, chopped
1. In a blender, make a slurry by combining the milk, flour and cream cheese. Set aside.
2. Cook the pasta to al dente in a pot of salted water according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
3. Meanwhile, heat a large heavy nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Season the chicken with 1 tsp. Cajun seasoning, 1/2 tsp. of the garlic powder, and 1/4 tsp. salt. Spray the pan with oil and add half the chicken. Cook until cooked through, about 3 minutes on each side. Transfer to a plate and repeat with the remaining chicken.
4. Add the olive oil to the skillet and reduce the heat to medium. Add the bell peppers, onion, and garlic, cook, stirring, until almost tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the mushrooms and tomatoes and cook, stirring, until the vegetables are tender, 3 to 4 more minutes. Add the remaining 1/2 tsp. garlic powder and season with 1/2 tsp. salt and the black pepper. Reduce the heat to medium-low, add the chicken broth and the slurry, and cook, stirring, until it begins to thicken, about 2 minutes.
5. Return the chicken strips to the skillet. Adjust with 1/8 tsp. salt and the remaining 1/4 tsp. Cajun seasoning, or more to taste, and cook, until heated through, about 1 minute. Add the linguine and toss well to coat.
6. To serve, divide the pasta and chicken among 5 serving plates and sprinkle with the scallions.
I took the kids to school, then went the gym. I went to my daughter’s parent-teacher conferences then met my husband and a friend at the mall for lunch at Cheesecake Factory. I ordered the Mexican Tortilla Salad from their Skinnylicious menu. I hate that name by the way.
The salad was pretty big (under 590 calories!) and pretty darn good too!
For dinner, I had defrosted some Spinach Lasagna so I reheated that and made a Caesar salad.
I took the kids to school then went to Orange Theory. I went to a doctor appointment, then lunch at Luna Grill.
Greek salad with a Chicken Kabob. Yum!
We are off to dinner with friends tonight!
Have you started your holiday shopping? I think i’m about half done...